question

amichaels avatar image
amichaels asked mterry answered

Why is iTest license check out slow?

When I check out a license from a flexlm server, the check out time can be upwards of 2 minutes

iTest Enterpriselicensing
10 |950

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

amichaels avatar image
amichaels answered

There are a few potential ways to resolve this, or improve the check out speed on a Windows client

1. Edit the lmhosts file
  2. Set the search domains on the network interface
  3. Limit the checkout to only those modules actually used

1) If your license server is on a computer that does not have a name configured in your network's DNS, you can improve checkout speed by adding an entry for the license server in your lmhosts file. The lmhosts file can be found at "%systemroot%\system32\drivers\etc". If you've never created one before, you can copy the "lmhosts.sam" file and name it "lmhosts" You'll need to add a single line as follows:

ip.addr someName #comment

example:

102.54.94.98 localsrv #PRE

in the iTest licensing page (Help->Configure iTest Licensing), you can now enter the name you configured in lmhosts. (I believe just using the IP address is okay, too, but I can't recall)

2) if your license server has an entry in your network's DNS, you can speed up license checkout by adding the license server's domain suffix in the search domains property of the network interface configured on your Windows PC. To do this, go to the Control Panel, "Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network Connections"

Right-click the proper interface and select "Properties"

Select IPv4 and click "Properties"

Click "Advanced"

Select the "DNS" tab

Click "Append these DNS suffixes"

In the box, enter the DNS suffixes for your network. Your network administrator should be able to provide you with this information. For example, if the FQDN of my license server is

licenses.internal.mycorp.com

then enter "internal.mycorp.com" in the box.

3) If you are still experiencing some slowness, you can slightly reduce check out times by unchecking modules you do not use in the "Configure iTest Licensing" dialog.

10 |950

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

cwhitty avatar image
cwhitty answered cwhitty edited

Yes, this will speed up license check-out - here's why.

The license client will perform a DNS lookup on whatever hostname the license server advertises. This hostname is specified in the SERVER line of the license file itself. The default value, this_host, tells the license server to use its locally configured hostname.

Let's use an example. The license file's SERVER line looks like this:

SERVER this_host a44e317471d4 27000

When I run the hostname command from the license server's shell, it returns ps-lab-ubuntu-1.example.com, and the iTest client attempts to DNS resolve ps-lab-ubuntu-1.example.com for each license checkout. If, on the other hand, the hostname utility in the license server's shell, it returns ps-lab-ubuntu-1, the iTest client attempts to DNS resolve that host with its DNS search path(s) appended.

As an alternative, I could specify the exact hostname that I want the license service to advertise:

SERVER ps-lab-ubuntu-1.example.com a44e317471d4 27000

The iTest client in this case will DNS resolve the explicit hostname configured in the SERVER line.

In summary, license checkout delays can be caused by failure to resolve the DNS host of the license server. In cases where DNS is unavailable or mis-configured, local host resolution can be configured using /etc/hosts (for Linux) or lmhosts (for Windows) with a static name/ip mapping. But, the key is to know what hostname the server is advertising.

10 |950

mterry avatar image
mterry answered

I finally added port numbers to the license file and now checkout is less than a second.

Ref: "Specifying a port for FlexLM" in the APT License Server Installation Guide.

SERVER this_host VM_UUID=xxx-xxx-xxx-xxx 27000
VENDOR spirentd PORT=27001
USE_SERVER

10 |950

nickcresswell avatar image
nickcresswell answered

@Clark Whitty

I have been experiencing issues with this when using a VPN, after installing the 64-bit versions of iTest8.0 & License server, running on my host PC. Each license module took 20 seconds to checkout, resulting in a long wait time to start. Modifying lmhosts (and also trying other settings). did not make any difference.

Long story short; I added the hostname to the license file configuration

And now checkout speed returns, whether on or off the VPN. I can't explain why it's taking a long time with the 127.0.0.1 (or any other IP address) as the License Server Host when on VPN.

10 |950

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.