question

Manikyam avatar image
Manikyam asked ericnute converted comment to answer

Working in parellel sessions

My setup has 28 DUTs. Upgrading image on One DUT will take at least 5 to 10 minute and more some times I want to execute download command on DUT1 with in session1 then move to DUT2 with session2 and so on.. Once download is finished on DUT1. I want to invoke the session to reboot the DUT. similer way to all sessions This way i can upgrade all my DUTs within 15 min. else i need to spend significant time just for upgrading any solution with iTest for this?
iTestthreads
10 |950

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Yaseen avatar image
Yaseen answered
I assume that you have 28 DUT's separately, which means there are 28 separate IP's to telnet each DUT. So you have to make that you are passing the IP as an argument in the call step, say call Upgrade -i $i -ip $IpAddress Thereby the flow of execution is something like below, For n iteration of for loop it will open n sessions (example: session1 session2 session3...) each with individual ip address (make sure to substitute $ip variable in the open step). During this if any session (session1) waits for prompt this will not be effective to other session (session2), since all the steps are specific different session windows. In order to verify this before connecting to actual device, I suggest you to try the same logic with simple sleep steps as, for loop (10 iterations) call procedure Demo #enable multithreading for this step end of loop \#Under the Demo procedure\# proc Demo sleep 60 end of procedure So based on the analysis it should take 60 seconds for complete test case execution and not 60*10 seconds. Attached is the sample test case for your reference. We can verify the same with command prompt session. Hope this information helps[link text][1] [1]: /storage/temp/3702-demo.fftc

demo.fftc (1.4 KiB)
1 comment
10 |950

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Manikyam avatar image Manikyam commented ·
Thanks Yaseen for the ans. this works logically. will try and update the results.
0 Likes 0 ·
lakshminarayana avatar image
lakshminarayana answered
Here is one of the way to achieve your requirement. 1. Create a procedure and include all the steps which you want to perform on each and every device. 2. Take the session id as a variable. 3. Insert a procedure call step by passing required arguments (session_id and DUT details). 4. Enable "Start this step (in a new thread) and proceed to the next step" check box under Step Properties - General of call step. 5. Refer my screenshot for better understanding. I just passed session_id as an argument. Make sure you pass the DUT details as well to connect to the different DUTs. ![alt text][1] [1]: /storage/temp/3700-dut_config.jpg

dut_config.jpg (48.5 KiB)
3 comments
10 |950

Thanks for the prompt reply. My requirement is something different. Please read the first post. above solution will open a session and download close the session and open another session and so on.. The point here is i don't want to wait till download process completes on first DUT.because it takes about 15 min. Here i want to park the session1 and go to session2 and initiate download and park session2 and go to session3 and initiate download and park session3 and so on will invoke session1 when it gets downloaded or when DUT prompt is available.. Hope my requirement is clear. Please help with this. Thanks Manikyam.
0 Likes 0 ·
lakshminarayana avatar image lakshminarayana commented ·
We enabled multithreading for the call step. So, it will not wait for previous session to close. All 28 sessions will open at a time based on the arguments we passed. Attached the test case for better understanding.[link text][1] [1]: /storage/temp/3701-dut.fftc
0 Likes 0 ·
dut.fftc (4.1 KiB)
Attached test case is what you pasted above. This is not the ans for my question. itest waits for prompt to execute next command. if the previous command is download then it will wait for 15 min. i don't want to wait for 15 min and go to next DUT to download. have any solution for this in itest??
0 Likes 0 ·
udaya avatar image
udaya answered ericnute converted comment to answer
Yes, you can do. You make to sure login to all the devices and execute the sessions in parallel. At a time you need all the connections open and do the work. When 1st device is configuring, you can upload image for second and so on...
1 comment
10 |950

Thanks Udaya for the ans. Can you just elaborate with an example shown in i-test.
0 Likes 0 ·

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.