question

takabanana avatar image
takabanana asked cwhitty answered

"Partial" Semi-Automation (Partial User Interaction) possible with iTest?

In iTest, is it possible to have it semi-automated, whereby the following steps can take place for a single Test Case?

1. Start iTest TestCase execution
  2. Run some automated tests (i.e. change channel on TV)
  3. Wait for confirmation from user (i.e. "Do you see video and hear audio?  Press 'Y' or 'N') - Test Fails if User does not interact/respond, or can move on with default setting of "If no response from User, handle it as if 'N' was entered"
  4. Based on confirmation, do X or Y... or Pass/Fail
  5. Do other automated things
  6. End iTest TestCase execution

Is this kind of semi-automation possible with iTest?
I was asked by someone, and I answered "I don't think so" but I wanted to make sure...

Thanks.

iTestsession profile
10 |950

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

vinod_reddy avatar image
vinod_reddy answered
Thanks for your support Brian Buege :) Actually we have a requirement where user information should be directly taken from iTest GUI popup window (or any similar user interactive mechanism in iTest ), because we are not going to use any gtalk or any IM chat applications in our testing environment.
10 |950

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

BrianB avatar image
BrianB answered
Please see answer above. The easiest way is to use the XMPP session type and have iTest contact you via IM (Google Talk, etc). It can contact you anywhere in the world. Most people aren't don't want to be sitting in front of the device waiting for prompts when long tests are running. We tend to discourage actual "prompting" of the user from iTest itself, because many times the test cases may be run from iTestRT in regression or on some platform like a server without an easily accessible console. Using XMPP/chat keeps the test case much more portable. Plus, it is pretty neat when your test case pings you on IM for a response!
10 |950

vinod_reddy avatar image
vinod_reddy answered
HI, Even we too have the same scenario, from my test script i will request user input and based on that, i should do necessary action in the test case. please give proper information how to achieve this in iTest ? Thanks, Vinod
10 |950

BrianB avatar image
BrianB answered BrianB posted

This is possible.  We created the XMPP/Chat session type for this very purpose.

Run the first automated part of the test.  Then, use the chat session type to send an IM to a particular user or account (either using a public XMPP server like Google Chat, or a private one).  The user can then type a response back and the test case can continue, terminate, or take other action based on the response from the user.

1 comment
10 |950

takabanana avatar image takabanana commented ·

Ah - awesome - totally didn't think of that!

We will try it out for sure - thanks!

0 Likes 0 ·

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.