question

dclaar avatar image
dclaar Suspended asked dclaar Suspended posted

UnexpectedChild/ExpectedChild

I'm trying to map the results of a run command, much as I did with the RunOrSummarize map in SVT.

When I generated the response map in iTest, I get a bunch of pre-defined queries of the form:

UnexpectedChild_[Result|Testcase|Owner|Duration|StartTime|Location]

And the same ones, only ExpectedChild.

Where did these come from, and what do they mean? They all seem to be empty for my current sample.

iTestresponse map
10 |950

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
PaulD avatar image
PaulD answered PaulD posted

Doug,

A big change in iTest versus SVT is that when iTest (or the tools plugged into it) know about the structure of their data, then they provide the data without depending on a response map at all.  In the case of the "run" step, that is why you are seeing structured data and queries without having a response map.

Admittedly, the names here are a little confusing, but allow me to explain.

The list of executed tests is broken into two groups:  those whose result was consistent with the expected result, and those whose result was different from the expected result.  (Except for weird cases, you can therefore think of these as ExpectedChild as the passing test cases and UnexpectedChild as the failing test cases.)

Looking at this, we could have done a better job of constructing the data for this case and the queries.  But at least you now know what you are looking at.  

You might want to add a response map that further post-processes the structured data -- by adding custom queries, for example, that make more sense to you.

4 comments
10 |950

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

dclaar avatar image dclaar commented ·

Oh! And that's why I have two TestCase() Queries: The one I defined, and the built-in one. I guess I'll restart building the response map.

The default for building a response map is "Analyze the sample response and attempt to populate the initial response map accordingly". For the commands that iTest knows about, that should not be the default to avoid duplicate mapping.

0 Likes 0 ·
dclaar avatar image dclaar dclaar commented ·
Upon restarting the response map, I'm seeing that it would be really nice to be able to see the definition of the internal table, i.e. IssueTable. I can dig it out over in the Structure tab, but it would be nice if it were in the "Table" part of the response mapping page.
0 Likes 0 ·
PaulD avatar image PaulD dclaar commented ·
Quite right.  That's a bug. 
0 Likes 0 ·
dclaar avatar image dclaar commented ·
I need to use process.run itestcli instead of exec.run. One problem with that is that all the nice response map goo that you get with exec.run seems to be missing for process.run. Is there some way to convince iTest to use the exec.run response map? If not, is there a way to copy the hidden table from exec.run?
0 Likes 0 ·

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.