question

yyoshida avatar image
yyoshida asked yyoshida posted

Built-in response maps are customizable?

Hi,

Built-in maps are defined in various responses (such as summarize step, list trap step ,etc),

I'm wondering if we could customize these queries? 

I would expect to set tokens as key like nommally we do.

Regards,

Yusuke

iTestresponse map
10 |950

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
PaulD avatar image
PaulD answered PaulD posted

Many applications provide their own structured data and queries without any response mapping.  So it's not strictly true to say that these are "built-in" response maps -- but your point is taken.  It is sort of like having built-in response maps for some actions on some application sessions.  You are free, however, to apply response maps to these same steps.  Your response map is applied to the response after the application is finished.  In this case, the application will still have added its structured data and queries to the response.  You can then supplement that structured data and/or queries with new ones in the response map.

In most cases, I think you'll find that the application has already provided good structured data.  What you may want to use a response map for is to add your own queries that will make it easier to extract data from that response.  To do this, select a step in the test case editor.  In the Response view, click on the button to create a new response map.  This will take you to the response map editor.  In most cases, you won't need to create any pattern maps, table maps or block maps (although you're free to do that).  You can go to the Queries tab in the response map editor and start adding your own custom queries.  While doing this, you'll find that the Structure and Queries views will be very helpful as you work out your own custom queries.  You can try out raw xpath queries in the Structure view until you get what you want.  Then you can use that xpath query to populate a new query in the Queries page.  Note that at the top of the Queries page, you can ask iTest to suppress the predefined queries, or you can override them.

4 comments
10 |950

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

dclaar avatar image dclaar commented ·

My question is related: I am trying to debug some analysis rules for the summarize step.

I don't really want to run the actual test every time, that takes too long.

So I created a response map from the summarize command's output, then I copied the output to a file, which I read in with readFile.

The problem appears to be that iTest "knows" it isn't the summarize command, so all that built-in goodness doesn't get included, and my queries don't fire. I specify "Use a response map file", and I made sure to remove the "summarize" applicability from the RM.

Any way around this?

0 Likes 0 ·
KumarS avatar image KumarS dclaar commented ·
If you do readfile and use a specific response map for this step, your queries in your specific response map should be available for your analysis.
0 Likes 0 ·
dclaar avatar image dclaar KumarS commented ·

I'm looking for the structure that iTest provides because it knows that it is "summarize": e.g.

count(IssueTable/row[Severity="pass"])

These don't show up.

0 Likes 0 ·
KumarS avatar image KumarS dclaar commented ·

You cannot get that because iTest's action has the logic to interpret that response structure. So only "summarize" action knows what the structure is and not "readfile" which can read any arbitrary data.

There is a future feature that is being brainstormed about is the emulation. When this happens, you will be able to emulate certain steps without executing them and in that case, you will have all the info which summarize provides.

0 Likes 0 ·

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.